If you are looking for ways to become a recognised English QTS teacher, one way to accomplish this is through the international Qualified Teacher Status (iQTS).
Anyone that successfully completes iQTS automatically gets awarded QTS (subject to a statutory induction which must be undertaken and completed successfully). QTS is the officially recognised teachers qualification.
How it works
The course is designed for people who live outside of England. It is to be delivered to teachers in their country of residence, containing a mix of theory and practical education under the qualification of Postgraduate Certificate of Education (with International Qualified Teacher Status (iQTS).
What are the requirements?
- A bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, from a UK or non-UK university
- A maths certificate that is equivalent to grade 4 GCSE result
- A science (biology, chemistry or physics) certificate that is equivalent to grade 4 in GCSE result – this is only applicable if teaching equivalent English primary school children aged 3 to 11 years old
- An IELTS with a minimum band score of 6.5, with 6.5 in writing, and no less than 6 in Reading and Speaking and Listening – this is applicable if degree was not though in English
- You do not need any teaching experience or to be working in a school to be eligible
The above is a minimum requirement set out by the government. Each training provider may have their own tailored sets of requirement based on the government’s own.
Do you have to pay for the iQTS course?
Yes, the course is the equivalent of international students studying with fees starting from around £9,000. Read more on Get Into Website.
Which schools/universities offer iQTS
There are currently 6 countries that began offering the course from when it was rolled out in September/October 2022. The government is expanding this from September 2023 – see the full list here.
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- Sheffield Hallam University
- The University of Birmingham Dubai
- The University of Derby
- The University of Sunderland
- The University of Warwick
What to expect post iQTS
On successful completion of the course, teachers can proceed to applying for teaching jobs in English schools. Once a job is secured teachers can either get work visa or be sponsored to come live and work in England.